The smaller the data, the bigger the story.
- 19 Jan 2014 » The reading list grows
- 09 Nov 2013 » Class notes for 10/28, the Final, and free books
- 20 Oct 2013 » Class notes for 10/21 - Visualization
- 15 Oct 2013 » Published tutorial on data mapping with Fusion Tables
- 08 Oct 2013 » Posted a beginner's guide to using S3 for web hosting
- 07 Oct 2013 » Outline for Oct. 7, 2013 class
- 30 Sep 2013 » Outline for Sept. 30 class
- 23 Sep 2013 » Outline for Sept. 23 class
- 16 Sep 2013 » More and less
- 02 Sep 2013 » First Commit
The philosophy and approach of small data Journalism toward data journalism.
Syllabus for Data Journalism, Fall 2013 at NYU-SCPS
Course information and tentative classwork and assignments. Note: The class is over but you can still read the class lessons at the above link
A by-no-means-complete list of guides, articles, and books related to data journalism. Will be updated and reorganized frequently.
For my class, I wrote up a couple of detailed technical guides. There are several more I haven't finished and hope to publish soon.
I wanted my students to have the option to easily and extremely cheaply build their own home on the web, in case other content-sites weren't flexible enough.
How to use Google Fusion Tables and Spreadsheets for basic data transformation, analysis, and mapping.
Header image credit: The Rain Room, by rAndom International, at the MoMA. Photo by Dan Nguyen